Which mechanical connector(s) and cable(s) is/are recommended to arrange a Controller Area Network (CAN) bus communication or its aerospace counterpart ARINC 826 in the aerospace industry (civil & military)?

  • $\begingroup$ Aren't there specs defining the CAN bus and don't they include that information? $\endgroup$ – FreeMan May 7 '20 at 13:00
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @FreeMan Yes to the former, no to the latter. The connectors are up to the implementer to define according to bus spec. I've seen CAN bus connectors that are everything from simple wire terminals through more complicated multi-function circular connectors. $\endgroup$ – Ron Beyer May 7 '20 at 13:48
  • $\begingroup$ @Ron Beyer: Exactly! This where my question pops from. $\endgroup$ – cyberdyne May 7 '20 at 14:10
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @FreeMan Not technically, no, but would it surprise you that in the industrial world, I see circular USB ports regularly? Even Ethernet quite often comes in M12, and serial connections are even worse. $\endgroup$ – Ron Beyer May 7 '20 at 16:14
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ D-Sub and Mil Circular are pretty common with the LRUs I work with, but I haven't worked with anything CAN related, just ARINC 429, RS232/422/485 $\endgroup$ – selectstriker2 May 7 '20 at 21:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.