What is required for someone who has CPL, IR and CFI licenses from Iran to fly in USA? What is the requirement to convert license?


1 Answer 1


You cannot convert the CPL to FAA-CPL. What is possible is to obtain a FAA-PPL certificate by verification of the your current foreign license. This certificate will be valid as long as your foreign license is (plus medical conditions, and 24-months PPL flight review required for any PPL in the US).

With the PPL certificate, you will be able to obtain IR and CPL:

  • Pass IR and CPL written tests.
  • Attend training for IR and CPL practical checks.
  • Accumulate at least 250 flight hours. Time in the foreign country with the foreign license will count as well, but at least 3 hours are required with the FAA instructor. The instructor will vouch for the candidate is ready for the check-ride.
  • Pass CPL and IR practical checks.

A valid residence permit will be necessary to use the FAA-CPL.

The CFI roadmap is similar, written tests and checkrides are mandatory, there no minimum hours to be flown in the US. As a large part of the knowledge required is similar to many ICAO-member countries (teaching, meteorology, navigation, aerodynamics, etc) this shouldn't be a problem to be certified FAA CFI.



  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Could you clarify your remark that "A valid residence permit will be necessary to use the FAA-CPL"? Where is this requirement, and what if the aircraft was being flown outside the US? $\endgroup$
    – Lnafziger
    Apr 28, 2015 at 17:11
  • $\begingroup$ I'm not a US citizen. I refer to the section Non-Resident Workers in Can foreign pilots get an FAA ATPL and work for a US-based commercial airline? for the case of a pilot without a Green Card. My understanding is that you cannot be employed by an airline. Am I wrong here? For what it is worth, this discussion on PPRuNe, very confused. $\endgroup$
    – mins
    Apr 28, 2015 at 18:11

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .