I'm planning to rent an aircraft and fly to the Bahamas. I've got all the requirements including the Restricted Radio license.

However, there was another requirement which concerns paying of the Annual decal fee through CBP DTOPs and filling the form through eAPIS which kind of got me confused. Now I'm about to pay the annual user decal fee for a private aircraft but is this required if its a rental aircraft?

And could someone please briefly explain the difference between the two and how they should be used for my trip?

  • $\begingroup$ Have you tried calling Customs and asking? Seems to me the requirement is on you to obtain it as you are taking the plane out of the country and want to be able to come back in with minimal hassle. Don't forget to check in with Both Immigrations and with Customs when you get to the Bahamas so you have the correct forms on hand when you leave. $\endgroup$
    – CrossRoads
    Commented Jul 20, 2018 at 15:05
  • $\begingroup$ Ask the company you're renting the plane from. They may already have the decal. $\endgroup$ Commented Jul 20, 2018 at 15:09

1 Answer 1


AOPA has a useful guide to flying to/in the Caribbean, including the Bahamas. To answer your specific questions:


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .