Hot answers tagged


Based on my current navigation database (AIRAC 1909, valid from 2019-08-15), I found 7 US airports with 4 (or more) parallel runways: KATL (Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport): 5 parallel runways: 08L/26R, 08R/26L, 09L/27R, 09R/27L, 10/28 KDEN (Denver International Airport): 4 parallel runways: 16L/34R, 16R/34L, 17L/35R, 17R/35L and 2 more ...


Because when selecting aircraft the requirements were for close air-support and to be able to operate from amphibious assault ships like the USS Tarawa and the USS Nassua. These ships have very small decks that aren't geared towards launching larger aircraft like the F-18.


Yes you can request that on your call, generally if you don't the tower will ask how you will terminate/proceed at which point you will request closed traffic.


If you call inbound for touch-and-go, the tower controller will assume you plan to remain in the pattern until you say otherwise because that is the norm. If you don't intend to stay in the pattern, say your exact intentions, e.g. "inbound touch-and-go, then departing west".


In the USAF, it has, historically, been common for rated Navigators to be selected for pilot training, and possible, though less common, for young officers in other career tracks as well. That said, this process is competitive (so certainly not guaranteed for a particular individual), and dependent on the "needs of the service", so what is going on "now" ...


Navy and Air Force in the US regularly see migration between officer specialties. A friend who had a non-pilot Navy job, now flies patrol missions. A co-worker who had a logistics job (math major in college) with the Air Force, later put in for pilot training, and was accepted. He eventually was assigned to Beale and flew U-2s and became an instructor ...


For 141 you need a graduation certificate to take the test. For part 61 you need an instructor endorsement. 141 is for complete courses start to end. 61 is for getting a piece here and a piece there mix and match style. in either case there is a minimum amount of ground training required before you can get your private certificate. Any either case you don't ...

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible