I am a non current private pilot (haven't flown for about 15 years) that need a 107 license for work to fly DJI drones.

my employer is not going to pay around $1,000 to get me current again (it's been a while. I will need some ground school and some practice to get to my groove).

Can I just take the 107 course and only get the remote pilot? or since I'm a pilot now, I need to make my private pilot current as well?

  • $\begingroup$ I would suggest contacting the FAA at faa.gov/uas/contact_us. They can provide the proper guidance. $\endgroup$
    – Gerry
    Nov 19, 2022 at 22:52

1 Answer 1


See 14 CFR 107.61(d).

If you do not meet the flight review requirement of 61.56, then you do not qualify to get a Remote Pilot License by taking the training described in 107.73.

However, you can still get one by passing the knowledge test described in 107.74, same as a non-pilot.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .