Can any one please identify this monoplane with a huge curved exhaust.

low wing, single engine aircraft

  • $\begingroup$ I still think OP was mis-identifying the curved roll-over structure as being a gigantic exhaust pipe, with the black material of the cockpit "coaming" (rim) being mistaken for the open end of the pipe! $\endgroup$ Mar 29, 2022 at 0:00
  • $\begingroup$ Many thanks to you all for taking the time to answer ther question - much appreciated. $\endgroup$
    – Tiger
    Mar 29, 2022 at 14:31

1 Answer 1


I believe this is a Junkers T29, or something similar. This photo from behind shows that the plane has both a rollbar over the cockpit as well as a separate exhaust pipe that sticks up prominently from the engine. Image Source

enter image description here

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Wikipedia says the curved thing is a “longitudinal arch over their heads to protect them like a roll bar” en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_T_29 $\endgroup$ Mar 28, 2022 at 16:39
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Only two were built. More photos of the Junkers T29 here: www-airwar-ru.translate.goog/enc/other1/… $\endgroup$ Mar 28, 2022 at 16:44
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ The T29 was also a test platform for the doppelflugel, which is that funky double-wing control surface. Nice catch. $\endgroup$ Mar 28, 2022 at 19:08
  • $\begingroup$ @MikeSowsun Nice find. This photo appears to be the same as the one in the OP, albeit in better quality $\endgroup$
    – Bergi
    Mar 29, 2022 at 1:56
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @DarrelHoffman: It's not hard to imagine an airplane of this configuration nosing over on landing and ending up on its back, especially when used in a training role. $\endgroup$ Mar 29, 2022 at 13:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.