See the image below of a screenshot of DFW - Dallas Fortworth Sectional chart.

There are a multiple frequencies. Based on what I learnt on Sportys so far, a CTAF has a (C), then UNICOM has a UNICOM written after the frequency.

How should one know which frequency is what, when someone sees a sectional like the one in the link. Especially, where the Control Tower frequency, and/ or arrival, departure frequency etc.

enter image description here



1 Answer 1


As Pondlife said, the information you want is found in the Aeronautical Chart User's Guide — VFR Charting Products publication.

Control Tower frequencies are the ones shown in blue Airport Data Groupings with CT - in front of them.

Approach Control frequencies that are relevant to VFR pilots are shown in blue (Class B) or magenta (Class C) boxes at the outskirts of Class C and Class B airspace, but are otherwise not shown on the "map" portion of the sectional. However there is a listing at the edge of the sectional/TAC of Class B, Class C, TRSA, and Selected [i.e. certain Class D] Approach Control Frequencies. Note that if you are using an online map like SkyVector you will have to select a specific sectional instead of "World VFR" in order to see the outer non-map areas.

If there is a specific frequency on a specific chart that you have a question about after consulting the Chart User's Guide you can edit your question to describe it.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .