I just saw this:

enter image description here

They look like IGVs but I'm not sure. What could those be? Do you know the engine?

  • $\begingroup$ Another view from this page $\endgroup$
    – mins
    Commented Jul 4, 2021 at 15:24

1 Answer 1


You have a very interesting find there! It is in fact not an engine from a B707, but a Kuznetsov NK-8 from Russia.

It was used in Ilyushin Il-62 and Tupolev Tu-154 aircraft.

As for the intermediate vanes, it is my understanding that their purpose is no more special, than to just stabilize the airflow entering the bypass section of the engine.

NK-8 (Picture taken from the site from the first link in this answer)

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Yes. This (both the stub and full vanes) is called IGV (Inlet Guide Vanes). Evidently, stabilising the flow around the tips was considered more important. $\endgroup$
    – Zeus
    Commented Jul 5, 2021 at 3:51
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Older jet engines probably were more critical about the flow characteristics, adding those half vanes keeps the distance between vanes more equal. $\endgroup$
    – Jpe61
    Commented Jul 5, 2021 at 14:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .