Can a US citizen (no pilot license) fly a US ultralight into Canada or any other country?

Due to a special exemption, Canadian pilots can fly a basic ultralight (registered but no certificate of airworthiness) into the US.

I don't think a US ultralight can be flown into Canada or any other country as they are not registered and do not have a certificate of airworthiness. Is this true?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Unless you add the phrase "legally" or "in compliance with regulations", the answer has to be "yes"! $\endgroup$ Jun 25 at 22:04

Interesting question!

Ultralights can be registered with the EAA's vehicle registration program, which issues a registration ID beginning with the letter "E". The problem is that in Canada you need a license to operate the aircraft. That is why there is no reciprocation between the US and Canada for that special exemption rule. In Canada, ultralight pilots are required to have a license. If you have a US pilot's license from Recreational on up, and an "E" registered ultralight, you are compliant with Canada's requirements. From Transport Canada's website:

Foreign licence validation certificate (for recreational pilots)

Visitors to Canada may have a foreign pilot licence validated for private recreational purposes. The foreign pilot licence must be valid:

  • under the law of the issuing state
  • and for privileges appropriate to the reason you’re flying

You may apply for a foreign licence validation certificate before arriving in Canada. The certificate will be issued for a period of one year. After a year you may renew it or apply for a permanent Canadian pilot licence.

To learn more about the certificate, including how to apply, read Advisory Circular 400-003: Foreign Licence Validation Certificate.

To my knowledge, no other country has the same type of ultralight aircraft rules as the US.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @StephenS Canadian ultralight licenses are actually permits and not ICAO compliant either. But that's not relevant to Canada and the US; if they accept each other's permits then there's no issue. ICAO does not enforce license requirements, individual countries do. $\endgroup$ Jun 25 at 18:18
  • $\begingroup$ That is incorrect. It varies from country to country. I have updated my answer with more relevant info about this. You can use a Rec Pilot license in Canada if it is validated. $\endgroup$ Jun 25 at 20:55
  • $\begingroup$ Sec 4.0(2) does not support your claim that a license lower than Private can be validated. $\endgroup$
    – StephenS
    Jun 25 at 21:02
  • $\begingroup$ @StephenS Neither does it say that it can't be. It says "private recreational purposes." $\endgroup$ Jun 26 at 23:52
  • $\begingroup$ That doc lists 7 specific license types that can be validated, and the lowest is Private. $\endgroup$
    – StephenS
    Jun 27 at 0:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.