When I read articles or blogs online about GA flying in Europe I get the impression that it's not unusual for European GA pilots to have FAA licenses and fly N (US) registered aircraft.

I've never seen any numbers mentioned so I don't know how common this really is, whether they hold only FAA licenses or also European ones etc. But in general, as a European GA pilot, what is the benefit of operating an N-reg aircraft rather than a locally registered one?


1 Answer 1


It's usually cheaper to go to the US and earn an FAA license and then fly N-registered aircraft in Europe than it is to get a European license. However, an N-registered aircraft needs to be maintained to FAA standards by FAA licensed mechanics.

  • $\begingroup$ small detail: it's illegal in many EU countries to operate EU registered aircraft on a US license, hence the need to have US registered aircraft in Europe (and US licensed mechanics). $\endgroup$
    – jwenting
    Sep 26, 2014 at 1:56
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for the answer, do you have any information or links on the relative costs? Do European pilots have specific costs that can be avoided via FAA licensing? $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    Sep 29, 2014 at 21:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.