Some European fighters like Eurofighter use frontal surfaces for pitch control. Does any US fighter use this configuration? And what are these surfaces called?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Probably en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canard_(aeronautics) - not used on production USAF fighter jets. $\endgroup$
    – Therac
    Commented May 17, 2021 at 18:43
  • $\begingroup$ thanks, i was thinking of the Eurofighter Typhoon. $\endgroup$ Commented May 17, 2021 at 18:50
  • $\begingroup$ This is an "old continent thing". Typhoon, Rafale, JAS, and Sukhoi use this control method. $\endgroup$
    – Jpe61
    Commented May 17, 2021 at 22:08

1 Answer 1


These surfaces are called canards.

To my knowledge no canard equipped fighter ever entered service with the armed forces, though there were a few experimental prototypes such as the CCV/AFTI F-16 or the F-15 ACTIVE which made use of canard foreplanes.

enter image description hereenter image description here

The Grumman X-29, Rockwell X-31, and Boeing X-36 are other examples of US technology demonstrators which made use of canards for extreme maneuvering, none of which were ever pursued further for development into a fighter aircraft.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .