Both "boomset" and "headset" are terms used e.g. by Airbus:

The audio management system includes:

  • [...] sockets at each station
    • headset jack and boomset connector (hand microphone connector) for pilot, copilot and third occupant
    • headset jack for fourth occupant
  • [...] boomsets for the pilot, copilot, and third occupant, and three hand microphones (fourth) [...]

(Airbus A320 FCOM - Communications - General - Audio Management System, emphasis mine)

What's the main difference between these two things or are they the same?

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Can you give us the context and where you heard "boomset"? Because I have never heard this word used... $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 29, 2021 at 18:17
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @Biafable, thanks. That's just the sort of reference and contextual information I would expect an OP to include in a "good" question. Hence my comment. (BTW, the term is found on the eighth page of the PDF file - which is labeled Page 1 of the Comm section in the document itself. In case it saves anyone else hunting around...) $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 29, 2021 at 19:03
  • $\begingroup$ I'm not sure about this context, but a boomset may be a mic/headphone combo that covers a single ear (like you would see phone operators wearing), whereas headset covers both. $\endgroup$
    – Ron Beyer
    Commented Jan 29, 2021 at 19:13
  • $\begingroup$ Or even, just a boom mic... listen to the speaker, push to transmit on the yoke, voice picked up with a boom mic. Dunno, as I'd never come across the term before either, but I'll offer this as a guess. $\endgroup$
    – Ralph J
    Commented Jan 29, 2021 at 19:19
  • $\begingroup$ @RonBeyer that was my guess. $\endgroup$
    – John K
    Commented Jan 29, 2021 at 20:25


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .