With all the ongoing mess with Brexit at the moment, I'm trying to figure out the wood from the trees so to speak. However there seems to me a bit of mass confusion with it all.

I'm just wondering if I could hold two licences at the same time? If the CAA go ahead and leave EASA, could I hold an EASA ATPL (CPL ME IR)and CAA ATPL (CPL ME IR) together?

If I can, I suspect this is in ICAO somewhere within licensing? And how would I go about it? Can I apply to on authority based on my results with the other (e.g. CAA with EASA results) or would I have to duplicate and thus spend more money to get a CAA one?

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ There is no regulation that says you can’t hold licenses from different authorities at the same time. Thousands of student pilots every year travel to the US, get an FAA license, then go home and get another license there. $\endgroup$ – StephenS Aug 22 '20 at 17:58
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I hold several country's pilot licenses (all ATP), although I only keep the one that I currently fly with valid, otherwise it would cost an arm and a leg, and a lot of traveling. $\endgroup$ – Raffles Aug 22 '20 at 20:39
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Welcome to aviation.SE! I don't know much about EASA and it's possible there is a good answer to this, however the effects of Brexit are still very unclear in many areas. $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Aug 22 '20 at 22:13

You may need to wait until the dust settles to see exactly what the regulations end up being but if the rest of the world is an indicator then yes you can hold licenses from various places at once. Licenses can in some cases be issued simply by applying and proving your currently issued one is valid (from somewhere) as is the case with the FAA but this will likely vary by jurisdiction.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.