It is talked about in many questions here that (with the exception of older 3+ engine aircraft) airlines and their planes must be ETOPS certified if they are going to fly more than 60 minutes away from a suitable diversion airport.

Are there any similar restrictions for private flights?

If regulations differ, assume the flight is between the US and Europe in a US or European registered plane.


1 Answer 1


I am unable to find any ETOPS restrictions for private aircraft in the FAA FAR/AIM Part 91. The FAA Advisory Circular AC 91-70B is applicable for commercial aircraft operators. Anecdotally, general Aviation single-engine aircraft (Including helicopters) make oceanic journeys on a regular basis.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ This level of regulation is best left to the insurance companies. $\endgroup$ May 29, 2020 at 17:24
  • $\begingroup$ 14 CFR § 91.501 - Applicability. - as long as you aren't getting paid, or does this not apply? $\endgroup$
    – Mazura
    May 30, 2020 at 5:57
  • $\begingroup$ @Mazura - Part 91.501 - 91.536 are in Subpart F for large and turbine-powered aircraft. I have not found any ETOPS restrictions in this subpart. There are ETOPS restrictions specifically in Parts 121 & 135. Although, you can fly on a for-hire basis in Part 91, Parts 121 & 135 are for specific commercial operations. $\endgroup$
    – Dean F.
    May 30, 2020 at 15:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .