When looking at scaled composite 339 space ship two I fail to see control surfaces on the trailing edge of the wing. For me, it seems that the only moving surface on the wing is the feathering mechanism and that control surfaces are all located on the tail.

My question is: when not in space, how is roll control achieved? does it use horizontal stabilizer in an asymmetric way? Is there a control surface I fail to see?

  • $\begingroup$ There is never any control surface on the leading edge of the wing. Only high-lift devices are on the leading edge (slats). The ailerons are normally on the outboard parts of the wing trailing edge, but the only reason they are there is that it is furthest from the longitudinal axis. Now what is furthest from the longitudinal axis here…? $\endgroup$
    – Jan Hudec
    Mar 3 '20 at 6:46
  • $\begingroup$ @JanHudec updated $\endgroup$
    – Manu H
    Mar 3 '20 at 6:56
  • $\begingroup$ There seems to be some sort of reaction control system integrated into the wing, details seem sparse. see: parabolicarc.com/2019/08/14/… $\endgroup$
    – Nile River
    Mar 3 '20 at 12:02
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @NileRiver, the next sentence fragment is the relevant though: “elevon flight controls”. $\endgroup$
    – Jan Hudec
    Mar 3 '20 at 12:36
  • $\begingroup$ @Manu H -- At 2:09 in the video (see youtu.be/X0WQ0KjScOU?t=129 ) I see no shortage of control surfaces. Are you familiar with elevons? $\endgroup$ Mar 3 '20 at 13:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.