Can you help me about which procedure do I need to follow in order to have a certificate that my design is part 103 ultralight.

And as a information how long would it take to get the certificate and about how much?

What would be the first step?

Thank you.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Unless you plan on quantity production, you may be overcomplicating this -- there are lots of legal Part 103 craft flying that are one-off, so the process can't be too hard. $\endgroup$
    – Zeiss Ikon
    Commented Feb 18, 2020 at 19:36
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @ZeissIkon Commercial production of an uncertified product does not need any type of certificate either and there is no process. $\endgroup$
    – Pilothead
    Commented Feb 19, 2020 at 16:26

1 Answer 1


No certificate needed and "satisfactory evidence" is only needed "upon request". From the FARs:

103.1 Applicability.

This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States. For the purposes of this part, an ultralight vehicle is a vehicle that:

(a) Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant; >(b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only; (c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and (d) If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds;

or (e) If powered: (1) Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation; (2) Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons; (3) Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and (4) Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.

§ 103.3 Inspection requirements.

(a) Any person operating an ultralight vehicle under this part shall, upon request, allow the Administrator, or his designee, to inspect the vehicle to determine the applicability of this part. (b) The pilot or operator of an ultralight vehicle must, upon request of the Administrator, furnish satisfactory evidence that the vehicle is subject only to the provisions of this part.

103.7 Certification and registration.

(a) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to certification of aircraft or their parts or equipment, ultralight vehicles and their component parts and equipment are not required to meet the airworthiness certification standards specified for aircraft or to have certificates of airworthiness.

  • $\begingroup$ Need to start from a point but from where dont know yet, want to apply for my ultralight in order to be able to sell as a comertial part 103 ultralight. $\endgroup$
    – Ali Ma
    Commented Feb 19, 2020 at 9:01
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @AliMa You can't apply for something that does not exist. $\endgroup$
    – Pilothead
    Commented Feb 19, 2020 at 16:28

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .