Is it possible for an airline pilot in case he would like to fly GA aircraft like c152/172 obtain the PPL license without going through the whole process?


1 Answer 1


Note: You did not specify a country. I will answer for EASA.

You don't need to obtain a PPL, you may use the MPL (Multi-Crew Pilot Licence) if you fulfill the requirements. From EASA Part-FCL (emphasis mine):

FCL.405.A MPL — Privileges

(a) The privileges of the holder of an MPL are to act as co-pilot in an aeroplane required to be operated with a co-pilot.

(b) The holder of an MPL may obtain the extra privileges of:

(1) the holder of a PPL(A), provided that the requirements for the PPL(A) specified in Subpart C are met;

(2) a CPL(A), provided that the requirements specified in FCL.325.A are met.

(c) The holder of an MPL shall have the privileges of his/her IR(A) limited to aeroplanes required to be operated with a co-pilot. The privileges of the IR(A) may be extended to single-pilot operations in aeroplanes, provided that the licence holder has completed the training necessary to act as PIC in single-pilot operations exercised solely by reference to instruments and passed the skill test of the IR(A) as a single-pilot.

You can find the requirements of Subpart C in the same PDF on page 145f.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Would someone please define "MPL"? (specifically, the "M"...) $\endgroup$ Oct 23, 2019 at 20:20
  • $\begingroup$ MPL stands for Multi pilot License. $\endgroup$ Oct 23, 2019 at 20:31
  • $\begingroup$ @Bianfable regarding the country lets say it's in United Arab emirates. $\endgroup$ Oct 23, 2019 at 20:34
  • $\begingroup$ @MichaelHall Done. $\endgroup$
    – Bianfable
    Oct 24, 2019 at 6:25
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @IslamAlmaghraby I'm sorry, I don't know about the rules in the UAE. Feel free to edit your question accordingly, maybe someone else will answer. $\endgroup$
    – Bianfable
    Oct 24, 2019 at 6:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .