Disclaimer: I'm not a pilot, and seem to be lost with all the jargon and complexities around this matter despite trying to do adequate amount of research.

I am considering taking on my PPL in Hungary and it is all EASA approved training. Thereby the licence will be up to a standard of EASAs approval. Therefore with this licence, would I be able to fly in a foreign country such as Japan, Australia, etc. or other countries with whom EASA has a working arrangement?

If not how would I be able to switch over my PPL to be accepted in Japan and Australia?


1 Answer 1


Generally speaking, you need to hold a licence issued by the same country that the aircraft is registered in. There may be exceptions but you cannot fly an Australian aircraft on your EASA licence.

Luckily, converting a PPL between countries is generally straightforward when it has been issued by an ICAO-contracted state (which is most advanced countries and EASA).

For Australia, no additional tests are required (for PPL only, exams and flight tests are required for higher levels). You just need a medical, to pass a security check, and pay a fee. I believe EASA licences come with English Language Proficiency (ELP) level 4 to 6 so an English test is not required. Side note, the US does not have the ICAO ELP scheme so even native English speakers from there need to pass an English test when they convert to Australia.

I'm less familiar with Japan but according to AOPA Japan you need to sit a law exam and obtain a radio operator certificate.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Surely the US has only native speakers of American. $\endgroup$ Oct 22, 2019 at 10:51
  • $\begingroup$ @Ben would this also include NFVR &/or IR? provided I just have a PPL? $\endgroup$
    – 3kstc
    Oct 22, 2019 at 22:17
  • $\begingroup$ @3kstc Neither NVFR nor IR come automatically with a PPL. If you have them issued by EASA then they can be converted, but they require a flight test. If EASA hasn't issued them to you, you need to complete the training for each rating from the beginning. I don't know if Japan is different on that. $\endgroup$
    – Ben
    Oct 23, 2019 at 1:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .