How do rate gyros and other sensors send information to the flight control computer in an F-16? I mean is it a hardwired communication or it is done through a bus? If by bus, what is the bus called?

I have read some articles about A-Mux. Is it the bus that the gyros transmit data through? I have the same question about the actuators. How does the flight control computer send information to the actuators? By bus or hard-wired? If you have references, that will be appreciated.

  • $\begingroup$ Modern rate gyros often have digital interfaces. The F-16 has had both analog and digital flight controls and the interfaces are likely to be significantly different within each type. $\endgroup$ – Peter Smith Oct 3 '19 at 16:05
  • $\begingroup$ I've never heard of A-Mux in respect to aviation. Any links to relevant articles? $\endgroup$ – selectstriker2 Oct 3 '19 at 18:21
  • $\begingroup$ Please refer to this link: ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19830004825.pdf $\endgroup$ – shooshool Oct 5 '19 at 5:29

The F-16 uses a MIL-STD-1553 data bus and was the first aircraft to do so.


  • $\begingroup$ Does any version use dedicated ports in flight control computer for the sensors? For example look at the following reference page 32, figure 20 and the paragraph above it:apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a128624.pdf $\endgroup$ – shooshool Oct 5 '19 at 5:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.