What happened with the original two prototypes of the YF-16 that were ordered during the Lightweight Fighter Program? Were they converted into combat-capable F-16's?
Some of them are in museums, YF-16 was a technology exploration and didn’t commit to production.
YF-16A (Full-Scale Development)
- 75-0745 – Used as a traveling exhibit, on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 75-0746 – Pylon-mounted gate guard, McEntire Air National Guard Base, South Carolina
- 75-0748 – Cadet Area Quadrangle, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado
- 75-0750 – Experimental Aircraft Display Hangar, National Museum of the United States Air Force, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 75-0751 – under restoration at the Air Force Flight Center Museum, Edwards AFB, California.
- 75-0752 – Frontiers of Flight Museum, Dallas, Texas