I was looking to get my restricted ATP at a university, but one of the requirements is to get my instrument rating from that university. Since I already have my instrument rating, but have not flown for 20 years, I would like to get my rating again through the university. Is it possible to retake my instrument rating again with the FAA? This would allow me to get my Restricted ATP with only 1,000 hours with 60 aviation credit hours from the university vice 1500 hours.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ While I’m not familiar with the university or if this is really their requirement, you could always surrender your pilot certificate... I don’t think you can surrender just the instrument rating. That would mean you would need to do your private checkride and written again. The thought of surrendering any of my hard earned certificates makes me cringe! $\endgroup$
    – Pugz
    Sep 7 '19 at 20:14
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I would check more thoroughly if this is what they really require or if there is some other way to validate your IR through them, such as an IPC, or merely graduating from their IR program, even though you have already your rating. $\endgroup$
    – Pugz
    Sep 7 '19 at 20:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.