What are the written tests required to become a ground instructor? Do I have to take the FOI, BGI and IGI? Or just the FOI and IGI tests?

I got confused if I should take the whole three tests - FOI, BGI, IGI - or if just the two IGI and FOI tests are enough?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The AGI covers all of the BGI info, so you want to take it instead. IGI covers instrument only. FOI is required for any ground or flying instructor unless you are an active teacher at a school or college. $\endgroup$
    – JScarry
    May 12, 2019 at 3:21

1 Answer 1


The FAA offers some nice guidance here

enter image description here

You may also want to check out my answer (a very close to dupe) here.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.