The county I'd like to put a private runway (for my use only) in doesn't require any special permits because the property is zoned Agricultural, BUT they do require some form of acknowledgement from the FAA that the FAA doesn't have a problem with it being in that location. How do I go about getting something like that from the FAA? Who do I contact?


1 Answer 1


You're probably already aware that the FAA itself does not require the operator of a private airfield to receive any kind of approval from the FAA. However, there is a process in place to register a private airfield, and indeed the notice (not approval) is mandatory. The result of that process might satisfy your local authority.

The three FAQs starting here are pertinent. You need to file FAA Form 7480-1, either by mail or via the OE / AAA system.

  • $\begingroup$ Thanks for the information. I knew the FAA itself didn't require that I get their approval for a private airfield, but was wondering what I could get from them to satisfy the County Zoning. I will check on seek to register my airstrip. Thanks again. $\endgroup$
    – Jim R
    Commented Mar 9, 2019 at 22:26
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ You never know when having your airstrip registered might come in handy $\endgroup$
    – TomMcW
    Commented Mar 11, 2019 at 20:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .