This question already has an answer here:

In fixed-wing aircraft, roll is typically controlled through ailerons.

But I am wondering if roll could also be controlled through split, independently controllable left/right elevators?


marked as duplicate by fooot, Ralph J, Dan Hulme, GdD, xxavier Jan 15 at 18:21

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


Yes. Fighter jets with split elevators can command a roll in the way you describe, see this answer for more info.

For an aircraft like a delta wing (tail-less) that lacks a traditional empennage these control surfaces are combined into an elevon to produce a mix use elevator aileron.

The Concorde is a classic implementation of this design. Flying wings like the B-2 also use this design.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.