'm a little bit headache about charge issue with commercial pilot certificate .hope someone help me figure out.

  1. IF my friend approaches to me first and ask for a flight to somewhere using my airplane and I get paid for this flight,am I holding out?If I am,how can I do that legally?How about using his/her airplane?
  2. According to 119.1(e),can I hold out for those flights and get paid(Ferry,banner towing etc.)and get paid?

1 Answer 1


If your friend approaches you and asks for a one-time ride, you're fine to charge for it. If you decide to advertise, or your friend tells a friend who tells a friend and word of mouth is that you offer an air taxi service, you are holding yourself out as a carrier and need to get a part 135 operating certificate.

Same thing with ferrying, banner towing, etc. If you are offering it to the general public as a service you need to get an operating certificate.

  • $\begingroup$ Thank you I got that.What if we decide to fly there every month,just once a month and he(same person each time)pay for me evey time.Is that also fine?Or I have to make a contract with him/her which called private carriage and also need a operating certificate? $\endgroup$
    – Leo
    Commented Jan 10, 2019 at 16:48
  • $\begingroup$ Almost positive you don't need an operating certificate for private carriage. $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 10, 2019 at 17:01
  • $\begingroup$ Am I thinking too much?119.23(b)link $\endgroup$
    – Leo
    Commented Jan 11, 2019 at 2:17
  • $\begingroup$ If you are doing it once a month you may be pushing the envelope. Do you also need to go to that destination? Then you may be fine, but when the question delves into hazy in-betweens only your local FSDO can answer that question. However, I learned long ago, the hard way, that you don't tell the FAA what they don't need to know. $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 11, 2019 at 10:50
  • $\begingroup$ Your second paragraph is incorrect in the US. 14 CFR §119 explicitly allows you to do these things without an operating certificate. Some of the operations in 119 require a letter of authorization e.g. sight seeing, but none require an operating certificate. $\endgroup$
    – JScarry
    Commented Dec 5, 2019 at 15:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .