My CFI certificate expires at the end of the month. I have completed the required Flight Instructor Renewal Course ("FIRC"), but when I called my local FSDO to make an appointment to submit my renewal application for a new CFI certificate I discovered that the FAA is shut down. If the shutdown continues through my CFI expiration date, can I renew my certificate with the FAA after the expiration date?

  • $\begingroup$ What is the name of the policing agency that prevents you from operating without the certificate? $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 18, 2019 at 19:00
  • $\begingroup$ @A.I.Breveleri I'm not sure if that was a serious question, but this may be relevant. It's also worth considering that your insurance company will refuse coverage if they have evidence that you weren't operating in accordance with the regulations. Giving instruction without a valid CFI certificate world certainly be in that category. That could turn a minor incident into a cripplingly expensive one. $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    Commented Jan 19, 2019 at 0:26
  • $\begingroup$ My question was intended as a potential trigger for what I hoped would be a serious discussion - Thank you for your informative remark. $\endgroup$ Commented Jan 19, 2019 at 1:30

1 Answer 1


Short answer is no, but there is a way to renew your CFI while Federal Government is shutdown. However, it's not through the FAA because so long as the FAA is shut down it cannot process applications.

(After a few hours of freaking out at the thought of having to redo my CFII check ride, I discovered there is a solution to this.

While the FAA is not processing applications during the government shutdown, the FAA has authorized certain non-federal employees to accept and process airmen applications for CFI renewal AND to issue temporary flight instructor certificates. These are called Airman Certification Representatives (ACR), and are defined as:

Airman Certification Representative (ACR). An ACR is an individual representing a specific FIRC provider who is authorized under Title 49 of the United States Code (49 U.S.C.) § 44702(d) to accept airmen applications for renewal of a valid flight instructor certificate from successful graduates of that provider’s FIRC and to issue temporary flight instructor certificates

Source: Advisory Circular 61-83J.

  • $\begingroup$ You may also find a DPE who is authorized to renew the certificate as well. $\endgroup$
    – wbeard52
    Commented Jan 4, 2019 at 3:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .