What do the words in white block capital letters over a red background denote on this aerodrome chart of LHR?

enter image description here


They are named holding points; this allows them to say things like "taxi to RABIT" rather than "taxiway Bravo, hold short of taxiway Charlie". This saves a lot of time for ground controllers at busy, complicated airports.

  • 7
    $\begingroup$ Might be worth mentioning how these unusual names were chosen; flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/… $\endgroup$
    – Richard
    Dec 27 '18 at 1:38
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Thanks for that @Richard ! Intriguing they are FIVE LETTERS only. $\endgroup$
    – Fattie
    Dec 27 '18 at 14:38
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @Fattie The reporting points or intersections in the air are five letters as well. $\endgroup$
    – Vladimir F
    Dec 27 '18 at 15:09

It's the name of the holding points if ATC asks the plane to stop in the middle of the taxiway to avoid collisions


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.