What do the words in white block capital letters over a red background denote on this aerodrome chart of LHR?

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ Could you source the image, please ? $\endgroup$
    – kebs
    Commented Dec 28, 2018 at 13:15
  • $\begingroup$ @kebs ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/… $\endgroup$
    – J.FLLT
    Commented Dec 28, 2018 at 15:14

2 Answers 2


They are named holding points; this allows them to say things like "taxi to RABIT" rather than "taxiway Bravo, hold short of taxiway Charlie". This saves a lot of time for ground controllers at busy, complicated airports.

  • 7
    $\begingroup$ Might be worth mentioning how these unusual names were chosen; flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/… $\endgroup$
    – Richard
    Commented Dec 27, 2018 at 1:38
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Thanks for that @Richard ! Intriguing they are FIVE LETTERS only. $\endgroup$
    – Fattie
    Commented Dec 27, 2018 at 14:38
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @Fattie The reporting points or intersections in the air are five letters as well. $\endgroup$ Commented Dec 27, 2018 at 15:09

It's the name of the holding points if ATC asks the plane to stop in the middle of the taxiway to avoid collisions


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .