I want to compare frontal surface areas of two airplanes, and I have their digital technical drawings and wingspan data. What program could I use to obtain the surface area using this data? Esentially a program that would let me put the drawing in a rectangle and measure the ratio of uncovered area of the rectangle to area covered by the drawing would be perfect.

  • $\begingroup$ Could you use a CAD program? Like FreeCAD. $\endgroup$ – jjack Dec 24 '18 at 19:09
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ If you had mentioned which type of program you prefer in terms of being freely available or complexity, it would be quite helpful. I know that you can do such thing very easily in CATIA (generative shape design workbench). I guess that all CAD software are able to do this operations. $\endgroup$ – Sd Hosseini Dec 24 '18 at 19:14
  • $\begingroup$ In the good old days we used a planimeter. Can you get your hands on one of those? $\endgroup$ – Peter Kämpf Dec 24 '18 at 22:17
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Sounds like a question for softwarerecs.stackexchange.com $\endgroup$ – Carey Gregory Dec 24 '18 at 22:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.