While reading an article about Hang Gliding reserve parachutes, I came across the acronym "PDA". The article seemed to imply that this is a type of parachute and a further google search seems to confirm that.

What I haven't been able to find is a source explaining what this acronym stands for. Wikipedia disambiguation offers no help and neither do several aviation glossaries I a familiar with. Lastly, a search for "PDA" in this forum provides no results.

  • 2
    $\begingroup$ In the article they mention a "Pulled Down Apex", which is a particular type of parachute. Perhaps that's what they meant? $\endgroup$ – Dan Pichelman Aug 17 '18 at 15:23

Pull-down apex. It's an additional attachment point in the center of the parachute. Putting force on it makes the parachute open up more like a half-donut, rather than a half-sphere. That provides more effective area for an annular parachute. That hole in the middle is needed for stability.


Link: one product of this type with a bit of explanation.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.