While playing Pokémon GO, I saw a plane with:

  • Propellers behind the engine.
  • Canards at the tip of the plane.
  • Normal-looking tail with a flat wing at the end of the upright bit.

I know these are probably not the correct terms, but I'm not sure what else to call those components.


The "propellers behind the engine" is called a "push configuration". One you look through aircraft that are private business planes, the Piaggio P.180 Avanti comes up as a likely contender.

the p.180 Avanti banking on a turn

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ The stabilizer arrangement here is usually called a "three-surface" -- both canard and conventional stabilizer in addition to the main wing. There are a number of current and next generation jet fighters with this layout, as well, though of course they don't have pusher propellers. $\endgroup$
    – Zeiss Ikon
    Aug 13 '18 at 11:05
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Could have been a Beechcraft Starship too, I don't have a picture on hand. Large plane or small? $\endgroup$
    – CrossRoads
    Aug 13 '18 at 15:16
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ The Starship does not have a "normal looking tail", though. $\endgroup$
    – Skyler
    Aug 13 '18 at 16:50
  • $\begingroup$ @CrossRoads I'm begining to wonder if that was it? Picture. $\endgroup$
    – Pureferret
    Aug 14 '18 at 8:25
  • $\begingroup$ The second thing on the Starship ID checklist after the rear-facing engines, is the winglets. This has none. $\endgroup$ Feb 2 '19 at 4:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.