I'm talking specifically about small airports where they don't have the fancy equipment and they actually have to go to a specific place to refuel for example cars go to gas station / petrol station so:

Is there an official term for a fuel station specific to planes?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ In some places, it's simply the Kwik Stop $\endgroup$
    – Machavity
    Jul 26 '18 at 16:53
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Official? Per whose office? $\endgroup$
    – hobbs
    Jul 27 '18 at 7:55

At airport with a standalone self-serve facility, it's a Self Serve Fuel(ing) Station. If it's a business selling fuel in addition to other services, that is a Fixed Base Operator, or FBO.


On a small GA airfield we just refer to them as "The pumps". As in my typical radio conversation goes like this

[Airfield] [service], G-ABCD request taxi to pumps.


They’re referred to as self service fuel pumps, or fuel terminals. I don’t know if anybody has officially named the but pilots call them that.


Our fuel pumps are on the west side of the airport and most people just request: “Taxi to west-side fuel.”


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.