I'm talking specifically about small airports where they don't have the fancy equipment and they actually have to go to a specific place to refuel for example cars go to gas station / petrol station so:

Is there an official term for a fuel station specific to planes?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ In some places, it's simply the Kwik Stop $\endgroup$
    – Machavity
    Commented Jul 26, 2018 at 16:53
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Official? Per whose office? $\endgroup$
    – hobbs
    Commented Jul 27, 2018 at 7:55

4 Answers 4


At airport with a standalone self-serve facility, it's a Self Serve Fuel(ing) Station. If it's a business selling fuel in addition to other services, that is a Fixed Base Operator, or FBO.


On a small GA airfield we just refer to them as "The pumps". As in my typical radio conversation goes like this

[Airfield] [service], G-ABCD request taxi to pumps.


They’re referred to as self service fuel pumps, or fuel terminals. I don’t know if anybody has officially named the but pilots call them that.


Our fuel pumps are on the west side of the airport and most people just request: “Taxi to west-side fuel.”


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .