Would I just file an IFR flight plan to the airport in question, and expect to be cleared for the visual approach if there are no instrument approaches at the destination airport?

  • $\begingroup$ Maybe by filing a Y flightplan. $\endgroup$ Commented Jul 22, 2018 at 10:06
  • $\begingroup$ You can end your IFR flight at any point and switch to VFR. $\endgroup$
    – Sami
    Commented Jul 22, 2018 at 10:14
  • $\begingroup$ In the US, when you file, you must include an alternate that satisfies the requirements of §91.169 e.g Precision 600 and 2, non-precision 800 and 2, no approach—visibility minima are those allowing descent from the MEA, approach, and landing under basic VFR. $\endgroup$
    – JScarry
    Commented Jul 23, 2018 at 2:18

1 Answer 1


Yes. If the airport in question has no operating control tower you need to cancel your ifr flight plan after landing if you choose to not do it in flight. Once you land you can cancel with air traffic contol, if you are able to establish radio communication, or cancel with a flight service station. It is usually going to be easiest to cancel with the local approach controller in flight, if there is no operating tower. Remember all ifr traffic, landing and departing, will not be able to receive their approach clearance or ifr release until you cancel.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .