I would like to make a VFR flight from Switzerland to Germany and Germany to France and then France to Switzerland.

For the first step: Switzerland to Germany I know that I have to fill a custom form AND a flight plan while taking off and landing on an airport with custom services. The same for France to Germany.

HOWEVER from Germany to France is this rule applicable (note that the plane is registered in Switzerland)? I cannot find an official website?


1 Answer 1


The European Union has also something called EEA - European Economic Area. Within the EEA it is not required to fill out anything except a flight plan between Germany and France. Switzerland, as stated, is not part of the European Economic Area and therefor customs are required.

Just in addition, Schengen is for passport free travel and not for taxes.

  • $\begingroup$ Schengen may be passport-free but you still need to be able to prove your country of residence, a passport or a "National Identity Card" are valid forms of residency, so you do need to take some documents with you. $\endgroup$
    – Ron Beyer
    Jun 17, 2018 at 16:12
  • $\begingroup$ so custom is required between France and Germany if the plane if registered in Switzerland?, apologies but the answer is not clear to me $\endgroup$
    – richpiana
    Jun 17, 2018 at 18:22
  • $\begingroup$ It’s not about where the plane is registered, it’s about from where you come. No customs within the EU. $\endgroup$
    – David
    Jun 17, 2018 at 18:25
  • $\begingroup$ @branchwarren you'd pass customs when bringing the plane into the EU from Switzerland, not when subsequently flying it between EU nations. It gets more complicated in this specific case as Switzerland is not part of the EU but is part of the Schengen common customs region... $\endgroup$
    – jwenting
    Jun 18, 2018 at 5:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .