GE Aviation bought the Czech company Walther to get their 600-800shp turboprop engines, now called the H75... On their website, two thirds down the page, the following picture has the caption

The H-series engines use blisks made from a single piece for the engine’s two axial compressor stages reduces component weight and part complexity

enter image description here

Is this a blisk?

  • $\begingroup$ 100% not a blisk. I work with them on a daily bases. That is a disc with blades. $\endgroup$
    – Notts90
    Commented Jun 14, 2018 at 15:12

1 Answer 1


From Wikipedia's blisk:

A blisk (portmanteau of bladed disk) is a turbomachine component comprising both rotor disk and blades. It consists of a single part, instead of an assembly of a disk and individual, removable blades. Blisks may be additive manufactured, integrally cast, machined from a solid piece of material, or made by welding individual blades to a rotor disk. The term is used mainly in aerospace engine design. Blisks may also be known as integrally bladed rotors (IBR).

enter image description here

Figure 1. This device is clearly made up of many pieces.

I can't see how this could fit the Wikipedia definition so as far as they are concerned this is not a blisk.

  • $\begingroup$ Your cited definition says blisks may be "made by welding individual blades to a rotor disk.". You need to provide a source that shows these blades are removable, and not permanently fastened, now or at some later stage in the process. $\endgroup$
    – user71659
    Commented Jun 13, 2018 at 23:17
  • $\begingroup$ For comparison here is a one-piece blisk. $\endgroup$
    – user14897
    Commented Jun 14, 2018 at 2:22
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @user71659: I don't think I need to do anything. Feel free to copy and improve. $\endgroup$
    – Transistor
    Commented Jun 14, 2018 at 6:11
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @user71659 them blades are very clearly not welded. Once a blisk is welded and cleaned up you'd never know it wasn't once separate bits of metal. You also don't use the dovetail design for a welding blade's foot, you use it on removable blades. $\endgroup$
    – Notts90
    Commented Jun 14, 2018 at 15:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .