I have noticed this overhead instrument panel. It is convered by a transparent plastic lid with a small hole in the middle. Inside it has lot of switches. What is it supposed to do and who operates the same?

I couldn't find an exact picture, but the below image highlights the area where the panel is:

enter image description here

Image Source


enter image description here

That panel you saw is the forward cabin circuit breaker panel. There is also an aft one.

It is used by maintenance personnel and cabin crew. For example if a toilet becomes inoperative, pulling the 'vacuum sys C/B' for 30 seconds might solve the issue.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks. Is there an enlarged image where I can see the labels of the buttons. $\endgroup$ – Firee May 30 '18 at 9:37
  • $\begingroup$ @Firee - Here you go: i.stack.imgur.com/AMntU.png :) $\endgroup$ – ymb1 May 30 '18 at 9:45
  • $\begingroup$ Interesting. Didn't know passenger reading lights are controlled from here. Also, it is quite high up, can cabin crew reach it easily? I never saw anyone operating those buttons. $\endgroup$ – Firee May 30 '18 at 9:58
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ The reading lights are controlled from the seats. That's the circuit breaker, it cuts the power supply to the reading lights -- sort of like the home circuit breakers. $\endgroup$ – ymb1 May 30 '18 at 10:12
  • $\begingroup$ @JeffreyBosboom - a cargo loading system, why not ask a new question? it is interesting and more people will see it that way. $\endgroup$ – ymb1 Jun 1 '18 at 7:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.