What is the maximum range of time that an FAA certificated pilot can stay and fly in Colombia, without the need to validate his license there?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ What do you mean by validate? $\endgroup$ – GdD Feb 26 '18 at 20:43
  • $\begingroup$ A pilot's license typically entitels you to fly aircraft registered in your home country, no matter where you fly them. If you want to pilot a foreign-registered aircraft, they need to recognize your license first. $\endgroup$ – Rainer P. Feb 26 '18 at 20:48
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Every country has their own rules and requirements. You’re going to need to be a bit more specific if you’re interested in a certain country. $\endgroup$ – Ben Feb 26 '18 at 22:19
  • $\begingroup$ FAA licence in Colombia! $\endgroup$ – Ygor Montenegro Feb 27 '18 at 1:28

You could fly US-registered aircraft in Colombia with your FAA license, but if you want to fly Colombian aircraft then you need to either validate your FAA license or get a Colombian one.

You validate your FAA license (or any ICAO license) by getting a Colombian "provisional" license. It remains valid as long as your FAA certificate and medical are valid. See section 2.1.7 of the Colombian regulations:


Cuando la UAEAC convalide una licencia extranjera otorgada por un Estado contratante de la OACI, en vez de otorgar su propia licencia, hará constar la convalidación mediante autorización apropiada que constará en una licencia provisional la cual deberá acompañar a la licencia extranjera y reconocerá ésta como equivalente a las otorgadas por dicha autoridad aeronáutica colombiana. La validez de la autorización no podrá exceder el plazo de validez de la licencia extranjera.

Note that the process of validation depends on your personal situation, especially whether or not you plan to become a Colombian resident (see

  • $\begingroup$ Did you just know that or are you a research monster? :-) $\endgroup$ – Pugz Feb 27 '18 at 3:25
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @Pugz That's research :-) $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Mar 2 '18 at 0:01
  • $\begingroup$ it’s beautiful. :-) $\endgroup$ – Pugz Mar 2 '18 at 0:01

24 Calendar months, as you will need a Biennial Flight Review although you could potentially do this abroad if you could find an FAA instructor abroad.

If you have a question I would reach out to the FAA staffer stationed in Columbia


Veronica Carpio (202) 267-0965
Carl N. Johnson 507-317-5046


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.