I've been looking around for the sale of ex-military jets, to own and fly, namely an Aero Vodochody L-39 Albatros, and so out of interest had a look at the CAA website for infomation on licenses, training and general ownership etc, and across the terms EASA and non-EASA licenses, I rougly understood the meaning of them, but am unsure as to which license I would need to own and L-39.

Whilst asking this, I would be appreciative if anyone could give me some general tips and advice on owning an ex-militatry jet trainer and the kind of courses/training I'd have to undertake to own and fly it. Thank you in advance.

Please edit if I have left something important out or anything like that.


According to CAP 632

6.1 Ex-military aircraft on the UK register with a ‘Permit-to-Fly’ may be piloted by either private or professional licence holders. Pilots must hold a current civil licence with a current civil class or type rating appropriate to the ex military type[s] being flown or where no civil type rating exists, an Aircraft Type Rating Exemption from the need to hold a type rating. Any questions relating to licence matters should be addressed to CAA PLD


  • Any turbine-powered aeroplane - To fly an ex-military turbine-powered aeroplane a pilot must hold an Aircraft Type Rating Exemption. See paragraph 6.7 for details of obtaining an Aircraft Type Rating Exemption

and so on.

Ex-military aircraft are non-EASA aircraft. Ref

  • $\begingroup$ So the aircraft has to be ex-british and I would have to have flown it in the military beforehand, or be a commercial pilot? $\endgroup$ – anonymous Feb 9 '18 at 15:40
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @anonymous. 1) AFAIK non-British aircraft can be registered in the UK and many are. 2) No. 3) No. $\endgroup$ – RedGrittyBrick Feb 9 '18 at 15:43
  • $\begingroup$ Thank you very much for your clarification and original answer, I appreciate it. $\endgroup$ – anonymous Feb 9 '18 at 15:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.