I am planning to attend a flight school and acquire a PPL, but I am currently staying in the US with a G4 Visa. Am I allowed to receive flight training legally?


1 Answer 1


You would need an M-1 (for training at a flight school) or F-1 (for training at a college & some flight training academies) Visa to receive flight training.

More information here.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ The link you give cites a regulation that prohibits B-1/B-2 visitors from enrolling in school (because those are visitor visas), though recreational studies, if you're just taking lessons for fun, can be a separate thing. This document seems to indicate G-4 holders may be able to study. The bit I have no idea about, and why I never answered this question, is whether a G-4 holder can get TSA Alien Flight Student Program approval with a G-4 for flight training. $\endgroup$ Mar 9, 2018 at 5:16
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ While it does not specifically address the GV visa, it does state: "The alien may not enroll in the course of study until the Service has admitted the alien as an F-1 or M-1 nonimmigrant or has approved the alien's application." It also goes on to say the H-type visas can also be used for flight training, however it still says nothing about the G-type visa. $\endgroup$
    – Richard
    Mar 10, 2018 at 16:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .