I have an ultralight gyroplane (GA) Spanish license. What sort of conversion or validation process do I need to follow to be able to continue flying after moving to the USA?

  • $\begingroup$ I suggest you should join the Rotary Wing Forum and ask there... Several members are gyro CFIs in the USA... $\endgroup$ – xxavier Dec 14 '17 at 12:55
  • $\begingroup$ Do you mean a) you want to keep your Spanish license valid while living in the US, or b) you want to use your Spanish license to fly in the US? I have no idea about (a) because it depends on EASA/Spanish regulations, but for (b) you can check this question $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Dec 14 '17 at 13:52
  • $\begingroup$ @Pondlife: It could be my edit which is ambiguous. "after moving to the USA" means when I'll be in the US, will I be authorized to fly with my Spanish license, if not what should I do? $\endgroup$ – mins Dec 14 '17 at 16:48
  • $\begingroup$ @mins Ah, I didn't look at the edit history. In that case I'd say it's a dupe of the other question I linked in my comment. $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Dec 14 '17 at 16:50
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Possible duplicate of I have a European EASA license - what do I need to do to be allowed to fly in the US? $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Dec 14 '17 at 16:53

As a caveat here, I know nothing about gyroplanes. But based on the US regulations it looks like there are a few different possibilities.

If your ULM license is equivalent to an ICAO private license then you could get an FAA foreign-based private license as described in this question. I believe you would get category rotorcraft and class gyroplane (see 14 CFR 61.5) but I'm not completely sure.

If your ULM license is not equivalent to an ICAO private license then it depends on the type of gyroplane you want to fly. If it's considered an ultralight then you don't need any license at all. If it's an LSA then you would need a sport or recreational pilot license. If it's a 'regular' gyroplane, you would need a private license.

If you do need to get an FAA license (sport, recreational or private) you should be able to use time you logged in Spain to count towards it.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ In Spain, an ultralight gyro is a machine with a MTOW of 450 kg. A few kilos more in some European jurisdictions. $\endgroup$ – xxavier Dec 14 '17 at 20:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.