I have a standard aviation headset and would like to splice in some music for longer flights. The aviation-specific adapters are overpriced at around $40. Can i just use a 1/4" Y adapter and a 3.5mm to 1/4" converter, such as these? Has anyone tried this with results?



  • $\begingroup$ I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it's about electronics, not particularly for aviation (and doesn't need to modify the airplane or the headset). $\endgroup$ – mins Dec 9 '17 at 11:18
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ The Y adapters are to split outgoing signals, not combine incoming ones. The other problem is that they don't mute on an incoming transmission. If you want to listen to music as you fly, please buy a headset designed for it so you don't miss important communications. $\endgroup$ – Ron Beyer Dec 9 '17 at 13:11
  • $\begingroup$ Also, chances are that the output of your music player is set up for the impedance of a regular audio headset, about 25 ohms, while your aviation headset is likely around 150 ohms. $\endgroup$ – Waked Dec 9 '17 at 20:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.