Does that bump you feel after completing a level 360 degree turn in an airplane have a proper name? I've heard it called an "attaboy bump", but obviously thats not a proper name.

My understanding is that the bump occurs when a properly executed level 360 turn overlaps the disturbed air caused by the same aircraft's flight path into the turn.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Loss of separation with the next aircraft in approach? $\endgroup$ – mins Nov 15 '17 at 12:55

It's your aircraft's wake, as in wake turbulence.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Yes. I think I worded my question wrong, but do you know if there is a name for intersecting your own aircraft's wake upon completion of a 360 degree turn? $\endgroup$ – Devil07 Nov 14 '17 at 21:46
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @Devil07 I've never heard a special name for it, everyone I know just says "I hit my own wake" $\endgroup$ – Pondlife Nov 14 '17 at 21:52
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ me too, I was wondering if it had a special name. I say we hereby name it the "attaboy bump", unless you can think of a more appropriate one. ;) $\endgroup$ – Devil07 Nov 15 '17 at 2:31
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Well, I had it flip me over once, so it was an oh s*@t bump then. $\endgroup$ – GdD Nov 15 '17 at 9:22
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Wow, 8 words, 18 votes. That looks like a record which will hold a long time :-) $\endgroup$ – mins Nov 19 '17 at 19:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.