I do have a maintenance manual that I found on Internet, but it doesn't have anything about the wheel speed transducer.

Any pics along with the information would be helpful.


From this Aviation Studies project report of group 2A2I at the University of applied Sciences in Amsterdam, for a Boeing 777-200:

Every wheel is equipped with an anti-skid transducer (appendix VII), which is installed in the axle. The transducer consists of a rotor and stator. According to the speed of rotation, an electrical signal is send to the BSCU.

This computer compares the rotation speed of all the wheels and detects when a wheel is rotating slower than the other wheels on the MLG. The BSCU will send a signal to reduce braking power when the rotation speed of one wheel reduces more in comparison to other wheels.

The principle is the wheel axle drives a permanent magnet within a 3-phase winding. The frequency of the signal generated is proportional to the wheel angular speed.

From B777 General Familiarization Manual:

enter image description here
Antiskid and Autobrake Diagram, source

Note: I initially believed the tacho-generator was a Socitec ST80, the same than on A320 (part number is C20105000). However when I wanted to provide a supporting document, I couldn't. So please take this as an assumption only until someone provides the part number from a Boeing document (I don't think there would be a big difference between B777 and A320 tacho-generator anyway).

enter image description here
enter image description here
Tacho-generator, part C20105000, source

More information: Bodet Aero. According to Bodet Aero, their tachometer equips A300, A310, A319, A320, A321, A330 and A340.

More about tachometers: TheAirlinePilots (section "Three Phase AC Electrical Tachometer").

This is a typical installation of the transducer (not a particular aircraft):

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ I know how a tachogeneartor operates and thought B777 uses one too but my supervisor said Tachogenerators aren't used in any latest aircraft, they use an auto transformer to do the same. $\endgroup$
    – Pritam
    Nov 10 '17 at 0:01
  • $\begingroup$ An additional search shows that these transducers are made by Crane/Hydro-Aire, and have part nr 140-025-1, 140-025-2, 140-025100 and 140-025101. But no details on the technology used. $\endgroup$
    – mins
    Nov 10 '17 at 0:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.