In Europe, can you get your CFI rating with a PPL only or do you need a CPL?

I assume that if you get paid to do flight instruction it's considered a commercial activity, so you'll need a CPL. But what if you do instruction without getting paid, do you still need a commercial licence to be a CFI?


1 Answer 1


The EASA requirements for a CFI ticket are:

  • Over 18 yo
  • Hold a Commercial Pilot License or a Private Pilot License with the CPL theory done.
  • A minimum flight experience of 200 hours as a Pilot of which 150 will be as Pilot in Command
  • Hold a Medical Certificate Class I or II in accordance with the license

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.