In Europe, how much does it cost to learn to fly gliders if you're already a private pilot? I am one, so I already have the medical and theory etc. but what cost can I expect for a GPL on top of a PPL?
closed as too broad by vasin1987, ymb1, fooot♦, SMS von der Tann, GdD Aug 8 '17 at 7:42
Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.
If you're in Romania, are a Romanian citizen and are under 23 you can do it for free in the Romanian Airclub.
Otherwise it's 15 eur/winch launch and 25 eur/tow at around 300m. I'm not sure if there's any deduction from the glider training if you have ppl but I know that if you have the glider licence you get a shorter training plan for motorized aircraft.
This is going to vary widely depending on circumstances, but I can share my personal experience since I did what you are asking about fairly recently.
I got my PPL back in 2004 but pretty much stopped flying two to three years later for financial reasons. In 2015, I determined through discussions with the glider club I am a member of that I could afford to start flying again in gliders. I started working on my rating in August 2015 and did my checkride in July 2016. My stats during training were:
- Flights (which equavlates to to takeoffs and landings): 67
Time: 12 hours, 48 minutes
Cost for instruction: \$0
- Cost for hourly rental and tows: \$2626
- Club dues: \$500 initiation + \$33 a month = \$396
- Misc (Books mostly): \$100
- The club I belong to, Skyline Soaring Association (SSA) is in Front Royal, Virginia USA. I don't know how these numbers would compare to other clubs or doing this through a commercial operation.
- Our club does not charge for instruction. Instead, instruction is one of the duties members (who are qualified) perform as part of their participation in the club. I would expect that instruction would be an extra charge in a commmercial operation as it is in powered flight schools.
- My club's rate sheet is here if you'd like to better understand how these costs break down.
Note: I posted this answer before the edit was made qualifying this question to Europe. I am curious though how the two would compare.