From the wiki page, what I understand is

an Area Control Center (ACC), also known as a Center (or in some cases, en-route, as opposed to TRACON control), is a facility responsible for controlling aircraft en route in a particular volume of airspace (a Flight Information Region). In the United States, such a Center is referred to as an Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC).

My question: Is ARTCC code different from the ICAO-FIR code? Or are there anomalies?

For example, here's a NOTAM in the FAA site. AT the bottom, under the headline Other Information, the ARTCC code is given as ZDC. Can I safely assume that the ICAO-FIR code would be KZDC for that NOTAM?

  • $\begingroup$ Partial answer: ICAO members agree on FIR borders and which member has the responsibility of providing FIR services (information and alerting). FIR cover international (oceanic) areas too. Then ANSP (e.g. FAA in the US continental area, plus NY OCA) appointed by members provide services, which include information and alerting, but can, and most of time do, include more (e.g. separation). Often the FIR is split into airspace types (A, B, C..., but also UIR) to determine which services are provided. Apart East Coast, a single ARTCC handles a single FIR. $\endgroup$ – mins Jul 14 '17 at 16:27

KZDC is the FIR associated with the ZDC ARTCC. Think of KZDC as the airspace itself (the flight information region), and ZDC as the facility which services it.

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks. My question then becomes: If ZDC is the ARTCC code, will the related FIR code always be KZDC (In the United States)? Is there one to one mapping from ARTCC to FIR? Or Is it many-to-one/other way around? $\endgroup$ – Akeshwar Jha Jul 14 '17 at 11:27
  • $\begingroup$ Of the ARTCC's that have oceanic FIR's three use the same code for both, (ZAN/PAZA, ZHU/KZHU, ZMA/KZMA), but Oakland and New York centers each have two FIR codes. ZNY covers KZNY and KZWY (oceanic). ZOA covers KZOA and KZAK (oceanic). $\endgroup$ – TomMcW Jul 15 '17 at 5:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.