I've always wondered what it would take to build my own airfield. I live close enough to an area where this would likely be possible (50 NM radius around Front Royal, Virginia, obviously outside the DC SFRA) and there are a number of private strips in the valleys adjoining mountain range I live near:
Here are the parameters I would consider, which would allow operation of one or more small general aviation aircraft:
- Runway width - 50-75 feet
- Runway length - 2200-2500 feet.
- Runway surface - grass
- Buildings - Space for a hangar (converted barn?) and a moderately sized house.
- What are the legal implications in the United States? Do you have to get permission from the government to do this? Is this airspace dependent? Answered in linked post and this post.
- What about permission from neighbors? I'm going to guess this will be harder to answer, since it likely depends on jurisdiction. However, if anyone has done this, perhaps they can share their experience in this area. Somewhat answered in revised post. Still interested in additional experiences.
- What would it cost to maintain this installation, above and beyond the cost of maintaining any piece of property of this size? What's included in these costs?
- Are you required to pay to have an airfield listed on charts?
- Do the parameters I've listed seem reasonable for the requirements I've mentioned?