The attached picture shows the Rapid City Regional Airport, KRAP. If I arrive after KRAP's tower is closed, which frequency should I use: 125.85 or 122.95?

Sectional Snippet


You use the CTAF for announcing your position and intentions, i.e. 125.85. From the AIM 4-1-9(g):

If an airport has a tower and it is temporarily closed, or operated on a part-time basis and there is no FSS on the airport or the FSS is closed, use the CTAF to self-announce your position or intentions.

4-1-9(b) says:

The CTAF may be a UNICOM, MULTICOM, FSS, or tower frequency and is identified in appropriate aeronautical publications.

125.85 is marked as the CTAF on the sectional and listed in the Chart Supplement.

Note: The letter "C" in the dark circle next to the control tower ("CT") frequency indicates that the CT frequency is the CTAF frequency at that airport.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Understood, and I know the CTAF is 125.85 because the blue-circled C is next to 125.85, right? If the blue-circled C was next to 122.95, CTAF would be that frequency? $\endgroup$ Jun 26 '17 at 20:55
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ @GarrisonNeely Yes, the C indicates the CTAF frequency. You can check the VFR chart legend for a full breakdown of all the information shown there. $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    Jun 26 '17 at 21:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.