I see a lot of these fan like symbols:

these fan like symbols

...on the Nav Canada Alaska Highway - Fort Nelson to Northway, 1:500,000 VFR Navigation Chart, but they're not anywhere on the map legend.

I presume they're marshland as they look a little similar to symbols I've seen on hiking maps, but I don't like assuming when making flight plans!..

Is there some universal reference somewhere that I don't know about? Are they indicating marshland, or are they something else entirely?


You can find this symbol in the "FAA Aeronautical Chart User Guide"

on page 30.

enter image description hereIt shows as "Swamps, Marshes, Bogs"

| improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Excuse my ignorance here, but what is a "hummock"? $\endgroup$ – Ralph J Jun 18 '17 at 3:07
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ hum·mock ˈhəmək/ noun noun: hummock; plural noun: hummocks a hillock, knoll, or mound. a hump or ridge in an ice field. North American a piece of forested ground rising above a marsh. $\endgroup$ – 757toga Jun 18 '17 at 3:50
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Answers my question, thank you! Though do you know if there's a Canadian/Nav Canada reference too? The symbols look a slightly different, and it seems odd to have to look to a foreign source for map symbols. $\endgroup$ – MattMatt Jun 18 '17 at 15:40
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Sorry, but I don't know. I would check with the Canadian Aviation authority at this website tc.gc.ca/eng/air-menu.htm $\endgroup$ – 757toga Jun 18 '17 at 18:49
  • $\begingroup$ Will do, thanks $\endgroup$ – MattMatt Jun 19 '17 at 0:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.